Due to the overwhelming response to this post, I can no longer accept applications. If you have applied, I am still working through the emails and applications and will respond to every applicant, no matter what the decision. Thank you.
The Powder Room is Jezebel's subblog devoted to highlighting the best writers from its vast commenter ranks. Unlike topic-specific sub-blogs, The Powder Room is 'general interest', which means we publish posts on a variety of topics, serious and non-serious, gif-heavy and gif-free. Over the past year we have run articles about choosing a martial arts discipline, sex trafficking on Facebook, the on-going Game of Threads series, parental abuse, covered the Texas Abortion bill filibuster, hosted numerous Ask A Blank conversations, and collected the best table flipping gifs around.
The authorship list for the Powder Room is limited – this is the first open call for contributors I've held since the blog's inception last year. Several of our writers have moved on to other things, which has opened up authorship positions. The initial roster of authors was personally invited by me to be contributors. However, since it's not humanly possible for me to know every commenter on Jezebel or Groupthink, I wanted to open this next round of invites up to interested members of the community.
What is Slay looking for in potential authors?
- Since the aim of PR is to highlight the 'best' commenters, you should have strong writing skills, the ability to craft a coherent post, and require little editing. I am available to the writers on the blog for advice and help if wanted, but will not be editing your posts.
- Ideally, you can commit to publishing one piece a week.
- Are you already blogging, either here on Kinja or offsite? That's great – I'm not adverse to cross-posts.
- An ability and interest in responding to comments on your pieces, and the wisdom to know when not to bother. (The second part can be learned!)
- You should already be member of the Jezebel community. This is a Jezebel subblog – the aim of this project is to promote our amazing commenters.
- You do not need to be Serious Feminist Academic to write for The Powder Room. I want to emphasize that I'm interested in showcasing a variety of voices. That applies to both the topics written about and our authorship list.
There are a limited number of authorship slots available. The exact number will be determined by the quality of applicants and the number of returning authors from the original roster. There is no end date to the application at this time, but since the slots are limited, it's better to contact me sooner rather than later. I will update this post when I consider the process closed.
Interested? While you can leave a comment on this post, the best way to get my attention (and assure you don't get lost in the comment shuffle) is to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you included your Jezebel commenter name, introduce yourself if we don't already know each other, and let me know what you're interested in writing about. If you have a blog, give me a link! If you have writing samples – even just comments you're particularly proud of – link me to them!
To be clear: The Powder Room is not part of the Recruits program. Participation in The Powder Room is voluntary and not compensated, but it does come with the advantage of the Jezebel platform and none of those pesky unique views requirements.
Slay is the curator of The Powder Room and the owner of Groupthink. You can often find her puttering around in the comments.